Now I think you’ll all agree, whitebait has to be one of the best drunk munchies…. Many a time have I gobbled up these fish looking into their toasted eyes, thinking how disgusting that is, but how great they taste too.
Now you cant get this everywhere, but it makes a great alternative to a greasy kebab or curry chips.
Here’s what you’ve got to do!
- 500 g whitebait, you can get this from the supermarket or a local fish monger
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 lemon
For the mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tea spoon mustard
- 80ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of grated lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- salt and pepper
Make the mayonnaise by putting the egg yolk, garlic, salt and pepper and mustard into a mixing bowl. Blend this together in a mixer until combined.
- Continue to mix in the blender and add the oil, drop by drop. Be careful not to go too fast… The mixture will begin to thicken and may go a bit lumpy. Add the white wine vinegar at this stage and then add the remaining oil. You can season more to taste.
- Add the chopped dill, lemon juice and grated lemon, and mix well together.
- After this is done, mix a teaspoon of salt in with the flour and put a pan on the hob over a medium heat.
- Dip the fish into the flour mixture and fry in batches in the pan for 2-3 minutes.
- Once all the fish are cooked, I like to serve with the mayonnaise and lemon wedges on the side to drizzle over the fish.